Thursday, February 7, 2013

I hate taking sides

I wish wishes could come true. I wish I could find one of those genie lamps and rub that sucker and a real genie would pop out and be like "3 wishes". The first thing I would wish for is that Kait's trichotillomania was gone and she had a head full of gorgeous natural hair. Second wish would to be rich, cliche', I know but what can I say, money makes the world go round and if you disagree, then you probably have money. My third wish would be to have infinite wishes, clever, I know! Things went kinda crazy today. I'm putting Kait's new hair in and we are talking about her going back to school after being suspended yesterday. How is she going to manage dealing with the girl who walked up behind her and punched her in the head? We are talking about it and Cliff adds his opinion, telling her she needs to wait for the girl to hit her again and then kick her ass, again. Kait disagrees and they get into a full on argument. I'm quiet. I usually take Kait's side because I'm so afraid of her going to live with her dad or hurting herself, but this time I am quiet, concentrating on put this hair in. They are arguing. I am thinking to myself, "here we go, this is about to get bad. Am I gonna have enough hair to finish, oh shit! Please let me have enough hair to finish". They continue arguing. I continue concentrating on not getting involved. Finally I throw the piece of hair I'm holding onto the counter and go into my bathroom. Kait follows me out and off to her room. We both slam our doors. I sit on the toilet even though I don't have to go. I listen. I hear them arguing and I put my hands over my face and stay frozen wondering if I'm going to cry like I usually do. No tears will come out. I stay frozen. Cliff comes into the bathroom and I'm still frozen. He asks if I'm ok and I say yes, still frozen. He tries to explain his view and I remove my hands and tell him I'm not taking sides and I don't want to get involved. He says something else and I repeat myself. He shuts the door and leaves. I get up and go to Kait's room and tell her to come out so that I can finish her hair. I noticed a huge black trash bag on her bed along with her backpack and purse. I know what this means. In this moment she's made enough that she thinks she wants to go and live with her dad now. This has always been my worst nightmare. Usually this would have called for a full bi-polar meltdown from me, but I maintain control and tell her we should finish her hair. We finish her hair. She returns to her room. I begin to clean just because I don't know what else to do. As I'm sorting laundry in comes Kait looking for more clothes undoubtedly to stuff in her already full black trash bag. I hug her and ask her not to shut me out. She reminds me that I didn't take up for her and I hear that she is crying, but I still can't cry. I hug a little tighter and then we let go and she returns to her room. Fastforward about two hours later and Kait has been picked up by her dad and Cliff is taking a nap and I am here, writing because I feel like I'm the only one who got hurt in this battle. I hate taking sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment